Sunday, May 2, 2021

My Relationship with Technology


I have had a rather odd past with technology. My father keeps up to date with all the latest Apple products. He buys us the new iPhones for Christmas, and we have iMacs, iPads all over our home. However, from an early age, I was never that involved with technology. During middle and high school, "cell phones are bad" "social media is draining life from teens" "kids are glued to their screens" was drilled into my mind over and over and over again by teachers and other adult figures in my life. That definitely had an impression on me. When I finally did get a phone, I avoided getting any social media all because I was told it was bad. It was bad to conform with your peers. And all throughout high school, I was proud to not have a Twitter, or an Instagram, or a SnapChat. I'd think I am different,  that I am not like the sheep around me.

I am a very different person now. Now I've fully embraced technology in my life. If fact, since I am majoring in Game Design, I'm placing my whole future life into technology. I have a phone, a laptop, a tablet and many more items. It's hard to think about if I'm engaged into too much tech now. All time spent using my laptop or phone to do something, whether it be schoolwork, hobbies, or entertainment. Of course, that's assuming that all technology usage is bad, which I obviously don't think. Though I think there is a distinction between productive vs nonproductive use of time with technology.

I think most people have more grievances with nonproductive technology use. I'd categorize unproductive tech use with browsing social media feeds, or just seeking low effort entertainment. That's anything that is comfortable, familiar, and readily available. Of course, I don't think you should never consume easy entertainment. Everything has its place in your budgeted, but too much time staying cozy in what you know can be harmful. What do I consider productive tech use? Anything where you are actively working on something, whether that be creating art or music, writing something, video editing, or just actively learning about something new. Anything that demands full engagement and takes you out of your comfort zone I think is very good.


All the social medias I have are all dedicated to stuff I make and do with intent. When I looked for my online fingerprint, I found a completely different Christian Hsieh. But when I googled the username I commonly use, I found my social media platforms where I post my art and animations, like my Twitch, my Twitter, and my Pixiv, places that showcase the work I have created like portfolios. These are all places I am proud, and there is nothing I feel compelled to erase.

My social media platforms:

DeviantArt
Twitter
Pixiv
Twitch

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Relationship with Technology

I have had a rather odd past with technology. My father keeps up to date with all the latest Apple products. He buys us the new iPhones for ...